Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of pharmacology concerned with the effects of drugs and the mechanism of their action.
- ‘Does the patient have any metabolic impairments that would alter the pharmacokinetics or the pharmacodynamics of the drug (ie, impaired renal or liver function)?’
- ‘The first section is dedicated to the fundamental principles of toxicology, including chapters on postmortem forensic toxicology, performance toxicology, forensic drug testing, and pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.’
- ‘The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of drugs can change unpredictably in patients at the end of life.’
- ‘Although age-related analgesic effects are extremely variable among elderly patients, changes in pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics could account for various adverse effects in this population.’
- ‘Its unique pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics make methadone a valuable option, but physicians should be aware of possible side effects.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.