One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘These scenes of retrieval of the past are presented as Jones's dreams or hallucinations, half-light phantasmagoric visions.’
- ‘Once Banks arrives in Shanghai, however, the story enters a more phantasmagoric world, and nightmarish and unreal events seem to occur.’
- ‘Yet the realist vision shifts to the phantasmagoric, as spectator and spectacle undergo carnivalesque reversals and interpenetration, in their darkest and most violent manifestations.’
- ‘It possessed a phantasmagoric nightmarish atmosphere, as you might have anticipated from a ballet inspired by Goya's gritty, bitter 18th century etchings Los Caprichos.’
- ‘It's an unreal, phantasmagoric place, Ford's America: an unashamedly sublime, romantic, sinister spectacle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.