One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The toxin present in the death cap toadstool. It is a peptide with seven amino acids in a ring structure bridged by a sulphur atom.
- ‘We show here that photosensitization with BAYy 3118 induces an immediate loss of actin reactivity with phalloidin, a toxin that specifically forms tight complexes with polymerized F - actin.’
- ‘In a double-labeled red cell with rhodamine phalloidin and F1 - PE, the lipid pattern is again accompanied by a weaker, dim but observable perturbation of the actin distribution.’
- ‘Egg chambers were stained with Alexa 488-labeled phalloidin to reveal actin-rich structures (blue).’
- ‘However, since phalloidin stabilizes F-actin structure and virtually abolishes the dissociation of actin monomers from filament ends, it also inhibits the dynamic behavior of actin filaments.’
- ‘Actin was localized using rhodamine-conjugated phalloidin.’
1930s: from modern Latin phalloides, specific epithet of the death cap toadstool Amanita phalloides (based on Greek phallos ‘phallus’) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.