One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘While this work is critical of a phallocratic system, its reliance on Freudian theory makes it unwillingly complicit in the reproduction of the categories of heterosexuality that are foundational to this system.’
- ‘The convergence of female violence against men and resistance to heterosexuality ‘draws one toward the place where meaning collapses’: this is the phallocratic meaning of woman.’
- ‘The film virtually absolves Hamlet of his ensuing phallocratic tyranny toward Ophelia, for this tyranny is greatly mitigated by the fact that Ophelia has wounded him in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.’
- ‘Apparently under these wicked, phallocratic regulations, half the female police applicants fail physical tests, whereas only 10% of men do.’
- ‘The attention to the phallus and the narratives that have tamed women within a phallocratic order have kept women distracted from recognizing the threat they pose to that order.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.