Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Focused on or concerned with the phallus or penis as a symbol of male dominance.‘the apartment block was an architectural monument to a phallocentric world’
- ‘Most often, men are phallocentric (fascinated with their penises) and have not taken the opportunity to explore their own sexual body.’
- ‘In her view, the black males in Wilson's plays represent the ‘white supremacist capitalist patriarchy's phallocentric ideal’ and are constantly defending their genitals from the castrating gaze of black women.’
- ‘As a figment of heterosexual wish-fulfilment, the female nude serves primarily to guarantee the stability of a phallocentric fantasy in which the omnipotent male gaze sees but is never itself seen.’
- ‘The SFO is deliberately against technical virtuosity in favour of serendipity, against phallocentric guitar-heroism in favour of a detached, unphysical approach to playing.’
- ‘Jones attempts to subvert the white patriarchal system by inverting the power dynamic serve only to reinscribe phallocentric notions of power and control.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.