Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vacuole in the cytoplasm of a cell, containing a phagocytosed particle enclosed within a part of the cell membrane.
- ‘We developed a method for simultaneous measurement of average extra- and intracellular oxygen concentrations, which also does not require the presence of phagosomes and therefore can be used in any cell line.’
- ‘After internalization of organisms into phagosomes, secondary lysosomes are fused to form the complete parasitophorus vacuole.’
- ‘The process of phagocytosis continues until the bacterium is completely internalized, surrounded by membrane in the phagosome.’
- ‘The researchers engineer a BCG strain that secretes the listeriolysin protein, which punches holes in the membranes of phagosomes where M. tuberculosis is located, allowing better T cell-mediated immunity.’
- ‘In the phagosomes, lysosomes are activated and fuse with the apoptotic bodies, bringing on their dissolution.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.