Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The ingestion of bacteria or other material by phagocytes and amoeboid protozoans.
- ‘Fc receptors mediate various effects on immune cells, including proliferation of B cells and phagocytosis by phagocytes.’
- ‘During phagocytosis, monocytes, neutrophils and macrophages generate Superoxide radicals, hydrogen peroxide and the highly reactive hydroxyl radicals3.’
- ‘Destruction of the red cells occurs as a result of the red cell-bound autoantibodies to the Fc receptors on monocytes and macrophages; phagocytosis and cytotoxic lysis of the red cells subsequently occur.’
- ‘In addition, these ligands markedly upregulated production of CD36, a scavenger receptor that regulates phagocytosis of apoptotic neutrophils.’
- ‘Weakened resistance to infection is caused by decreased antibody and complement production, leukocyte phagocytosis and intracellular killing, and macrophage phagocytosis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.