One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- short for bacteriophage
- ‘Bacteriophages, or phages, infect bacteria in order to reproduce inside.’
- ‘Unbound phages were separated from phages bound to antibodies in normal plasma by centrifugation.’
- ‘Research shows phages may help reduce Salmonella contamination on fresh-cut fruits’
- ‘Bacterial viruses are called phages, and phage therapy, while about a century old, is making a bit of a comeback, perhaps as a substitute for antibiotics.’
- ‘The strain of staphylococci are recognized by natural virus parasites called phages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.