Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for bacteriophage
- ‘Unbound phages were separated from phages bound to antibodies in normal plasma by centrifugation.’
- ‘Bacterial viruses are called phages, and phage therapy, while about a century old, is making a bit of a comeback, perhaps as a substitute for antibiotics.’
- ‘Bacteriophages, or phages, infect bacteria in order to reproduce inside.’
- ‘The strain of staphylococci are recognized by natural virus parasites called phages.’
- ‘Research shows phages may help reduce Salmonella contamination on fresh-cut fruits’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.