One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A South American plant of the nightshade family which has white, purple, or red funnel-shaped flowers, with many ornamental varieties.
Petunia × hybrida, family Solanaceae
- ‘Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.’
- ‘Geraniums, pansies, petunias, primroses and snapdragons could provide shades of red late fall through spring.’
- ‘Set out tender bedding plants such as petunias and marigolds after the last frost of spring.’
- ‘Tried and true varieties include Gerbera daisy, pink and purple wave petunia, begonias, Calla lilies, fragrant heliotrope and stock.’
- ‘White cyclamen, snapdragons, petunias and alyssum are cool-season annuals you can add now.’
Modern Latin, from French petun, from Guarani petȳ ‘tobacco’ (to which these plants are related).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.