One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unduly concerned with trivial matters, especially in a spiteful or selfish way.‘petty-minded, cost-cutting tradesmen’
intolerant, illiberal, reactionary, conservative, ultra-conservative, conventional, parochial, provincial, insular, small-town, localist, small-minded, petty, close-minded, short-sighted, myopic, blinkered, inward-looking, narrow, hidebound, dyed-in-the-wool, diehard, limited, restricted, inflexible, dogmatic, rigid, entrenched, prejudiced, bigoted, biased, partisan, sectarian, discriminatoryView synonyms
- ‘Recent public discourse also reveals ill-founded and petty-minded anxieties about the elderly.’
- ‘Puritanical and petty-minded folk blame him for the alleged moral collapse of British society in the 1960s and since.’
- ‘I can't believe people can be so petty-minded.’
- ‘There are petty-minded, mean-spirited people in the media who are continuing a miserable crusade against the company.’
- ‘He struck me as nothing more than a petty-minded bully: a jobsworth, revelling in the small but crucial power he had over the media.’
- ‘I have now got to go out and get a job at the age of 51 just because of some petty-minded individual sitting at a desk.’
- ‘If people are penny-pinching or petty-minded this week, naturally you won't hold back on letting them know it.’
- ‘These petty-minded, semi-literate, vengeful people now control a large part of the State's institutions and resources.’
- ‘If we make enough fuss, maybe companies who pursue such petty-minded bullying tactics will realise that they are in danger of damaging their brands.’
- ‘Our city council are a bunch of petty-minded small businessmen, trying to use the city council to cut their rates while boosting the value of their property investments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.