Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of science concerned with the origin, structure, and composition of rocks.Compare with lithology
- ‘We combine field relations, structural geology, petrology, thermobarometry and geochronology to interpret the tectonic evolution of the Everest Himalaya.’
- ‘Although their ages are correlative with the Parana Volcanic Province magmatism, the geochemistry, petrology and isotopic compositions of the Salta Rift magmas show different source regions and petrogenetic processes.’
- ‘Geochemistry and petrology of the turbidites suggest deposition in a forearc basin.’
- ‘Integrated studies of metamorphic petrology and structural geology constitute a powerful tool for understanding the tectonic evolution of the inner zones of orogens.’
- ‘The petrology of British Palaeocene igneous rocks shows that the asthenosphere was unusually hot and that the lavas were produced by fractional crystallization of larger volumes of melt near the Moho.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.