A car fanatic.
- ‘To most of the 80,000 petrolheads who will fill the stands at the Kent circuit, A1 is another reason to spend Sunday afternoons watching cars whizzing round in circles.’
- ‘From drag racing to time-trialling or simply roaming the city streets, there's enough here to keep petrolheads happy for days.’
- ‘If ever there was a device that so perfectly excites the petrolhead to the complete astonishment of lentil-lovers, it's the sports exhaust.’
- ‘Nowadays, the sport does not attract such attention but has lost none of its allure for petrolheads of all ages because rallycross is a unique spectacle that combines the best of the rallying and circuit-racing worlds.’
- ‘You get a load of yuppie petrolheads in fast cars [who] career across a series of foreign countries, dodging indigenous police forces and smashing speed limits.’
1980s (originally Australian): from petrol + -head.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.