One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A car fanatic.
- ‘From drag racing to time-trialling or simply roaming the city streets, there's enough here to keep petrolheads happy for days.’
- ‘If ever there was a device that so perfectly excites the petrolhead to the complete astonishment of lentil-lovers, it's the sports exhaust.’
- ‘Nowadays, the sport does not attract such attention but has lost none of its allure for petrolheads of all ages because rallycross is a unique spectacle that combines the best of the rallying and circuit-racing worlds.’
- ‘You get a load of yuppie petrolheads in fast cars [who] career across a series of foreign countries, dodging indigenous police forces and smashing speed limits.’
- ‘To most of the 80,000 petrolheads who will fill the stands at the Kent circuit, A1 is another reason to spend Sunday afternoons watching cars whizzing round in circles.’
1980s (originally Australian): from petrol + -head.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.