One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volatile liquid distilled from petroleum, consisting of a mixture of hydrocarbons.
- ‘Recrystallization was carried out with petroleum ether, and the crystals were stored at - 70 [degrees] C.’
- ‘Lipid was extracted from the yolk using Soxhlet extraction with petroleum ether as a solvent.’
- ‘After filtration and methanol evaporation under reduced atmospheric pressure, the sample was adjusted to pH 8.0 and partitioned once with equal volume of petroleum ether.’
- ‘Cellulose thimbles were filled with ~ 10 g of dried liver homogenate and subsequently washed with petroleum ether in a modified Soxhlet apparatus to extract lipids.’
- ‘Axiferous extracts were thoroughly mixed three times with two volumes of petroleum ether to remove lipids prior to HPLC analysis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.