Young peas that are picked before they are grown to full size.
- ‘Some of this glamour still attaches to the French petits pois, which are not a separate variety but ordinary peas harvested very young.’
- ‘After a moment's pause, during which I decided that the peas on my plate were more fascinating than les petits pois are generally thought to be, I looked up.’
- ‘The second course followed, starring fresh green peas, two ways: Petits pois en brandade, velouté de petits pois, et pain grillé.’
- ‘The protein-packed power breakfast menu one morning included juicy fried chicken spiked with loads of black pepper and garlic, served with salad and a hefty dollop of mayonnaise, and sautéed kidneys and onions with petits pois.’
- ‘We use fresh pea pods in the restaurant, but if you haven't got time to stand around shelling them or have trouble tracking them down, good-quality, frozen petits pois work well.’
French, literally small peas.