One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Something that a particular person finds especially annoying.‘one of my biggest pet peeves is poor customer service’
annoyance, irritation, source of irritation, source of vexation, source of annoyance, thorn in someone's flesh, thorn in someone's side, pinprick, pest, bother, trial, torment, plague, inconvenience, nuisance, menaceView synonyms
- ‘My pet peeve is people who say that hitting water is like hitting concrete: "Of course, at that speed, it's like hitting concrete!"’
- ‘Cookies are just a pet peeve of mine because I don't seem to have a lot of control over preventing their placement onto my computer.’
- ‘I have a lot of pet peeves but the one that gets me the worst is people who spit in public.’
- ‘So one of my biggest pet peeves is people who waste lab supply money on things you can make yourself for pennies and only a little bit of work.’
- ‘I myself knew that this matter of "high sulphur content" was a pet peeve of the ecologists, and I was interested to see the reactions.’
- ‘The only issue I had with it was the shaky-cam scenes, but that's a pet peeve of mine to begin with so take it as such.’
- ‘While seeing dogs wear clothes is a pet peeve for some, others suggest it's a status symbol.’
- ‘One of my biggest pet peeves is the overuse of the term "best friend".’
- ‘It's a pet peeve, but having gone to college in New Mexico and seeing so many people aghast that I would leave the country for school, I became sensitive to it and the geographic ignorance bothers me.’
- ‘My pet peeve is mushy guys that want to see you 24/7 and worship the ground you walk on, it's so unattractive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.