Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A name that is used instead of someone's usual first name to express fondness or familiarity.
affectionate name, term of endearment, endearment, nickname, diminutivehypocorism, hypocoristicView synonyms
- ‘And ‘Pinky’ is a name (more of a pet name, really) that both men and women choose or are given.’
- ‘Johnny calls Francie ‘prima donna’ as a little pet name.’
- ‘Arthur sighed, wishing his mom would stop using his pet name.’
- ‘‘Hey there, Munchausen,’ he said quietly, calling her by an old pet name.’
- ‘I looked up at him, I smiled… Tess is my pet name he made for me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.