One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A name that is used instead of someone's usual first name to express fondness or familiarity.
affectionate name, term of endearment, endearment, nickname, diminutiveView synonyms
- ‘Arthur sighed, wishing his mom would stop using his pet name.’
- ‘Johnny calls Francie ‘prima donna’ as a little pet name.’
- ‘I looked up at him, I smiled… Tess is my pet name he made for me.’
- ‘‘Hey there, Munchausen,’ he said quietly, calling her by an old pet name.’
- ‘And ‘Pinky’ is a name (more of a pet name, really) that both men and women choose or are given.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.