Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A name that is used instead of someone's usual first name to express fondness or familiarity.
affectionate name, term of endearment, endearment, nickname, diminutiveView synonyms
- ‘I looked up at him, I smiled… Tess is my pet name he made for me.’
- ‘And ‘Pinky’ is a name (more of a pet name, really) that both men and women choose or are given.’
- ‘‘Hey there, Munchausen,’ he said quietly, calling her by an old pet name.’
- ‘Johnny calls Francie ‘prima donna’ as a little pet name.’
- ‘Arthur sighed, wishing his mom would stop using his pet name.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.