One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sauce of crushed basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil, typically served with pasta.
- ‘For pesto, combine basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan in a food processor and process until finely chopped.’
- ‘For the main course I had the penne with mozzarella, tomato, basil pesto and olive oil.’
- ‘Guests can choose from a selection of sauces, including basil pesto, tomato pesto and bolognaise from a simmering wok.’
- ‘On a cold blustery night, a meal of pasta, fresh pesto and good Parmesan made me feel like summer might not be far away.’
- ‘Thank God for pasta and those lovely little pots of sauce and pesto to pour over the top.’
Italian, from pestare ‘pound, crush’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.