Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A heavy tool with a rounded end, used for crushing and grinding substances such as spices or drugs, typically in a mortar.
- ‘And I used cardamom seeds that I crushed in my pestle and mortar, rather than ready-ground.’
- ‘In indigenous villages, women often make the tortillas the traditional way by grinding corn with a rounded pestle on a flat lava stone called a piedra or metate.’
- ‘In a mortar and pestle we ground up mint leaves from the garden with brown sugar.’
- ‘To make the anchovy butter, place the anchovy fillets, the teaspoon of butter and the Parmesan in a mortar and pestle and reduce it to a paste.’
- ‘With a mortar and pestle, crush the thyme, garlic, and peppercorns and place in a large saucepan.’
- 1.1A mechanical device for grinding, pounding, or stamping something.
- ‘The homogenate was further macerated with quartz sand (at a ratio of quartz sand to denaturing solution of 16.7-33.3 mg ml - 1) in a mortar with a pestle in a draft chamber.’
- ‘The dolomite powder was milled in a mechanical mortar and pestle for several hours, resulting in an average grain size of about 2 ìm.’
Crush or grind with a pestle.‘she measured seeds into the mortar and pestled them to powder’
crush, pound, pulverize, mill, powder, granulate, grate, mince, shred, crumble, pestle, mash, smash, press, fragment, kibbleView synonyms
- ‘So then I fried the bacon until impossibly crisp, crumbled some on my salad, placed the rest in a mortar and proceeded to pestle the remainder.’
- ‘When well done, sticky rice is placed in mortar to pestle.’
Middle English: from Old French pestel, from Latin pistillum, from pist- pounded, from the verb pinsere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.