Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance used for destroying insects or other organisms harmful to cultivated plants or to animals.
- ‘Organic contaminants include residues of pesticides and other agricultural chemicals.’
- ‘Diazanon is a pesticide used again in agriculture, but also used around the home.’
- ‘The pesticides being produced were organophosphates, carbamates and pyrethroids.’
- ‘While raising the plants and shrubs sparingly use pesticides, as they may harm or even kill the birds.’
- ‘Today billions of dollars are spent in pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.’
- ‘The synthetic pyrethroids are more stable than the pyrethrins, and are equally or more potent pesticides.’
- ‘The cost of pesticides and other damage-control methods have landed farmers in deep debt.’
- ‘Do not pour pesticides or herbicides down sinks, drains or toilets.’
- ‘Farmworkers who come into contact with insecticides and pesticides are prone to chronic illnesses.’
- ‘Occupational exposures to pesticides and organic solvents are suspected risk factors.’
- ‘Once volatilized, a pesticide can move in air currents away from the treated surface.’
- ‘The pesticides used in conventional farming lead to many diseases, including cancer.’
- ‘He said the pesticide used on GM crops did not affect soil or water and was extremely safe.’
- ‘There have now been calls for all organophosphate pesticides to be banned.’
- ‘In recent years, the use of pesticides in agriculture has been increasing steadily.’
- ‘At present pesticides are currently tested on animals and released for sale at a tenth of the harmful strength.’
- ‘The ECPA also said that cutting back on pesticides could hit farmers' incomes.’
- ‘And he said that crop spraying and pesticides were also posing a serious threat.’
- ‘High prices are charged for manure, pesticides and other items needed by farmers.’
- ‘It is the rat breeding season when many people use pesticides and poisons to kill off the rodents.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.