One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance used for destroying insects or other organisms harmful to cultivated plants or to animals.
- ‘While raising the plants and shrubs sparingly use pesticides, as they may harm or even kill the birds.’
- ‘Today billions of dollars are spent in pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.’
- ‘At present pesticides are currently tested on animals and released for sale at a tenth of the harmful strength.’
- ‘There have now been calls for all organophosphate pesticides to be banned.’
- ‘Organic contaminants include residues of pesticides and other agricultural chemicals.’
- ‘The pesticides used in conventional farming lead to many diseases, including cancer.’
- ‘Once volatilized, a pesticide can move in air currents away from the treated surface.’
- ‘In recent years, the use of pesticides in agriculture has been increasing steadily.’
- ‘It is the rat breeding season when many people use pesticides and poisons to kill off the rodents.’
- ‘The cost of pesticides and other damage-control methods have landed farmers in deep debt.’
- ‘Diazanon is a pesticide used again in agriculture, but also used around the home.’
- ‘Occupational exposures to pesticides and organic solvents are suspected risk factors.’
- ‘The pesticides being produced were organophosphates, carbamates and pyrethroids.’
- ‘And he said that crop spraying and pesticides were also posing a serious threat.’
- ‘The ECPA also said that cutting back on pesticides could hit farmers' incomes.’
- ‘Do not pour pesticides or herbicides down sinks, drains or toilets.’
- ‘He said the pesticide used on GM crops did not affect soil or water and was extremely safe.’
- ‘High prices are charged for manure, pesticides and other items needed by farmers.’
- ‘The synthetic pyrethroids are more stable than the pyrethrins, and are equally or more potent pesticides.’
- ‘Farmworkers who come into contact with insecticides and pesticides are prone to chronic illnesses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.