One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The human foot, or the corresponding terminal segment of the hindlimb of a vertebrate animal.
- ‘Sauropod footprints show heteropody, with relatively small manus and large pes prints.’
- ‘Therefore, taxonomic designation based on only manus prints would be premature without associated pes impressions.’
- ‘Both hindlimbs are directed outward from the pelvis, with the superbly preserved pedes exposed splayed out in dorsal view.’
- ‘The variance in the general build of the manus and pes is presumably due to scaling with respect to the wide range in body sizes seen among synapsids.’
- ‘Apart from a fragmentary metatarsal, the tarsus and pes are not preserved in this specimen.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, ‘foot’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.