Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Read (something), typically in a thorough or careful way.‘he has spent countless hours in libraries perusing art history books and catalogues’‘I perused several online reviews’
leaf, flick, flip, skim, browse, glance, look, riffleView synonyms
- ‘Upon opening the door Jack was surprised to find Chris sitting on the couch perusing a medical journal.’
- ‘The Tribunal perused the original and read the copies that were made for its use.’
- ‘You can navigate by country, topic or forum and read expert advice or peruse articles.’
- ‘I found myself having a different kind of experience reading this work than I have ever had perusing a materia medica.’
- ‘He said he needed to peruse these documents before he could make any submissions against the extradition of his client.’
- ‘Readers who are accustomed to perusing statistical documents know what the set of numbers in the parentheses means.’
- ‘By now, having thoroughly perused the menu, it was obvious that Haus Munchen was priced very moderately.’
- ‘At the end of the long room, a grey haired sixty year old man is tapping his desk with his fingers whilst perusing a wad of documents.’
- 1.1 Examine carefully or at length.‘Laura perused a Caravaggio’
study, scrutinize, look throughView synonyms
- ‘She thoroughly perused the room to make sure Pablo was nowhere nearby.’
Note that peruse means ‘read’, typically with an implication of thoroughness and care. It does not mean ‘read through quickly; glance over’, as in documents will be perused rather than analysed thoroughly
Late 15th century (in the sense ‘use up, wear out’): perhaps from per- ‘thoroughly’ + use, but compare with Anglo-Norman French peruser ‘examine’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.