Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of reading or examining something:‘I continued my perusal of the instructions’[count noun] ‘a quick perusal of the index to the book reveals an interesting fact’
study, scan, scanning, scrutinyView synonyms
- ‘After lengthy perusal of the instructions, I managed to change the green neon clocks on the video, the hi-fi and the cooker.’
- ‘He set it back on the wooden plate and continued his perusal of the records.’
- ‘For those of a philosophical bent, my results are posted below for your perusal.’
- ‘Archives and libraries and museums have any amount of information and documents available for perusal.’
- ‘A selection of videos in the lounge awaited our perusal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.