One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- medical term for whooping cough
- ‘The vaccine is a combination of diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus toxins, and 95% of children are covered.’
- ‘It provides immunity to polio, as well as diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and Hib.’
- ‘Many children succumb to diarrhea, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, measles and malnutrition.’
- ‘For nearly 50 years Australian babies have been routinely vaccinated against diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus.’
- ‘Possible reactions to immunisation against diphtheria and tetanus and pertussis include fever, vomiting, and listlessness.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from per- ‘away, extremely’ + Latin tussis ‘a cough’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.