Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The quality of being attractively small and well shaped.
impudence, impertinence, cheek, cheekiness, sauciness, effrontery, irreverence, insolence, disrespect, disrespectfulness, flippancy, presumption, presumptuousness, audacity, audaciousness, boldness, brazenness, forwardness, cockiness, shamelessnessmouth, neck, brass neck, nervesaucesnashsassiness, sass, chutzpah, a smart mouthmalapertnessprocacityView synonyms
- ‘So there's Girl and NML parading around in thongs of varying stringiness and bottom pertness, making we mere bottom-mortals feel bad.’
- ‘P would wear these semi-see-thru tops and her nipples would be poking through almost skyward in their pertness: they were amazing I tell you, I was transfixed.’
- ‘The mate replied in the affirmative and commented on the pertness of her breasts.’
- ‘We were impressed with the pertness of her breasts.’
- ‘Indeed there's a very animated conversation about whether one should compromise jiggliness for pertness.’
- ‘Finley has looks, a voice and that ageless soubrette pertness - the total musical comedy package.’
- ‘"That is what I meant by her pertness," said Mrs Corey, when they were driving away.’
- ‘Her rich, clear soprano captures infinite shadings of mock-hauteur, pertness and good humour.’
- ‘I tried for pertness.’
- ‘They were often allowed considerable licence, though pertness had its dangers.’
- ‘One knows this is fun, pertness, cartoon, because it skates on our experience rather than probes it.’
- ‘Darcy could perceive from the twinkle in her eyes and the hint of pertness in her tone that there was more to her statement than she was willing to contribute.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.