Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of having a ready insight into things; shrewdness.‘the perspicacity of her remarks’
astuteness, sharp-wittedness, sharpness, acuteness, acumen, acuity, intelligence, cleverness, smartness, alertness, wit, canniness, common sense, discernment, insight, understanding, penetration, perception, perceptiveness, perspicaciousness, discrimination, knowledge, sagacity, sagenessView synonyms
- ‘It is, moreover, written with an attention to syntax commensurate with the author's historical perspicacity.’
- ‘There is nothing heartless about his intelligence or his perspicacity.’
- ‘Artists, like great religious leaders, show amazing perspicacity in this respect.’
- ‘Few can observe their impulses with perspicacity.’
- ‘Your perspicacity in phrasing such a question is a source of wonder to me.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.