Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A deeply ingrained and maladaptive pattern of behaviour of a specified kind, typically apparent by the time of adolescence, causing long-term difficulties in personal relationships or in functioning in society.‘this personality disorder is characterized by a lack of guilt and an inability to form lasting relationships’‘the study has shown that avoidant personality disorder is strongly associated with anorexia nervosa’
- ‘People with schizoid personality disorder avoid relationships and do not show much emotion.’
- ‘The long-term projection for people with paranoid personality disorder is bleak.’
- ‘It seems the defendant is suffering from a paranoid personality disorder.’
- ‘The former have an avoidant personality style, the latter an avoidant personality disorder.’
- ‘Antisocial personality disorder is best understood within the context of a broader category.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.