One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The quality of being personal.‘his sculpture investigated pure form from which all expressive personalism was eliminated’
- ‘Nationalism, on the other hand, tends to express itself in authoritarianism, emotionalism, personalism, vengefulness and mean-spiritedness.’
- ‘I believe the fundamental key he offers us is through the same personalism he uses to discuss the nature of marriage and men and women.’
- 1.1 A theory or system based on subjective ideas or applications.
- ‘While I applaud the resurgence of apologetics that we have recently seen in this country, I suggest it could benefit from the kind of personalism that Pope John Paul II professes.’
- ‘Dorothy understood that a just system was as important as her ideal of personalism, where each takes individual responsibility for the well-being of all.’
- 1.2 Allegiance to a particular political leader rather than to a party or ideology.‘this personalism alone can explain the shifting alliances that so confuse observers’
- 1.3Philosophy A system of thought which maintains the primacy of the human or divine person on the basis that reality has meaning only through the conscious mind.
- ‘The Catholic concept of personalism placed man in the context of God and sought to liberate his full potential.’
- ‘Karol Wojtyla came to the papacy not merely as a bishop but as a professor of philosophy who had been writing about and teaching personalism in Poland long before the Second Vatican Council began.’
- ‘I'm a bit surprised that the authors don't do more than gesture toward the lay tradition of personalism articulated by mid-century French and American Catholics.’
- ‘The only way to destroy theism is to reject all forms of transcendence, personalism, and dualism.’
- ‘Moreover, in recent years the Christian theology of personalism has developed a new theoretical framework for understanding the person, including the goals of psychotherapy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.