Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device that records television programmes on to a hard disk and allows manipulation of programmes while they are being transmitted.→ PVR
- ‘This gives you not only a personal video recorder, but a built-in DVD recorder for archiving your favourite programmes.’
- ‘Thanks to those awfully nice people at TiVo, I am enjoying the loan of one of their hard disk personal video recorders.’
- ‘I have used this PC as a personal video recorder to record TV programs.’
- ‘Apparently, there's a new personal video recorder device being released there that lets people completely eliminate ads while recording whatever show they want.’
- ‘Those are just a couple of lessons I've learned from my three months using a personal video recorder.’
- ‘And will the personal video recorder market actually take off?’
- ‘The digital video recorder, formerly known as the personal video recorder was everywhere.’
- ‘He will discuss the complex issues raised by personal video recorders and DVD burners next week.’
- ‘Downloading has given music fans the power to mix their own albums, while personal video recorders enable television viewers to watch only what they want.’
- ‘It tries to fill the gap between increasingly obsolete video cassette recorders and hard-disk based personal video recorders.’
- ‘For all the hoopla about personal video recorders, you'd think more people would be using them.’
- ‘Hard disk drives are already being used in personal video recorders and set top boxes today.’
- ‘One of the great selling points of personal video recorders such as TiVo is their ability to let you skip over adverts.’
- ‘The companies will jointly market and distribute the stand-alone personal video recorders exclusively bundled with TiVo's service.’
- ‘Rather than selling its own personal video recorder to consumers, the company is licensing its software to third parties, such as cable companies and set-top manufacturers.’
- ‘In the US, high definition TV, video-on-demand and personal video recorders are expected to be the weapons of choice.’
- ‘Our studies show people love personal video recorders, but they are hard to operate and hook up.’
- ‘Video-on-demand and personal video recorders clearly beat out the other services hands down with 58% of digital and 55% of analog customers saying those services were the most appealing.’
- ‘A better option for recording onto a hard disk is a dual-receiver personal video recorder, which has an electronic programme guide to make scheduling easy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.