One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device that records television programmes on to a hard disk and allows manipulation of programmes while they are being transmitted.
- ‘Thanks to those awfully nice people at TiVo, I am enjoying the loan of one of their hard disk personal video recorders.’
- ‘It tries to fill the gap between increasingly obsolete video cassette recorders and hard-disk based personal video recorders.’
- ‘Those are just a couple of lessons I've learned from my three months using a personal video recorder.’
- ‘The companies will jointly market and distribute the stand-alone personal video recorders exclusively bundled with TiVo's service.’
- ‘The digital video recorder, formerly known as the personal video recorder was everywhere.’
- ‘Video-on-demand and personal video recorders clearly beat out the other services hands down with 58% of digital and 55% of analog customers saying those services were the most appealing.’
- ‘In the US, high definition TV, video-on-demand and personal video recorders are expected to be the weapons of choice.’
- ‘Hard disk drives are already being used in personal video recorders and set top boxes today.’
- ‘I have used this PC as a personal video recorder to record TV programs.’
- ‘Downloading has given music fans the power to mix their own albums, while personal video recorders enable television viewers to watch only what they want.’
- ‘Apparently, there's a new personal video recorder device being released there that lets people completely eliminate ads while recording whatever show they want.’
- ‘He will discuss the complex issues raised by personal video recorders and DVD burners next week.’
- ‘Rather than selling its own personal video recorder to consumers, the company is licensing its software to third parties, such as cable companies and set-top manufacturers.’
- ‘Our studies show people love personal video recorders, but they are hard to operate and hook up.’
- ‘A better option for recording onto a hard disk is a dual-receiver personal video recorder, which has an electronic programme guide to make scheduling easy.’
- ‘One of the great selling points of personal video recorders such as TiVo is their ability to let you skip over adverts.’
- ‘And will the personal video recorder market actually take off?’
- ‘This gives you not only a personal video recorder, but a built-in DVD recorder for archiving your favourite programmes.’
- ‘For all the hoopla about personal video recorders, you'd think more people would be using them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.