Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Commercial services such as catering and cleaning that supply the personal needs of customers:‘workers in the personal services’
- ‘For Asia, its reputation for quality personal services and hospitality is a powerful asset on which to leverage an Asian hotel brand.’
- ‘In the information technology and personal services sectors, however, a different trend is taking place.’
- ‘Subsequently, the city thrived on tourism and the provision of financial, business, and personal services to Bay Area, regional, and transpacific customers.’
- ‘Emotion work is seen in a whole range of personal services, from retail and catering to airline cabin crews.’
- ‘Among services, it is the community, social and personal services group that is expected to show the sharpest decline.’
- ‘Both deliver personal services that may be better delivered by much smaller institutions.’
- ‘Preethy said because she targeted middle and upper-income consumers, she offered personal services such as providing free drinks at her boutiques.’
- ‘Manufacturing, hotels or the personal services sector continues to attract most early school leavers.’
- ‘Though I would understand if those who have narrow views concerning the personal services industry might prefer not to read anything on this subject.’
- ‘In the case of many one-to-one personal services, the service provider's own personnel constitute by far the most important element of the total service offering.’
- ‘The word ‘service’ in the second clause isn't modified by the word ‘personal,’ indicating that there are services that aren't personal services.’
- ‘Forty-four percent of minority entrepreneurs are in the service industry, with nearly half providing business or personal services.’
- ‘You can't force somebody in a personal services contract.’
- ‘But in areas of part-time employment, in hospitality and personal services, I would have thought that other things would be very important.’
- ‘However, financing, real estate, business services, and community and personal services moderated the services sector growth.’
- ‘Contracts claim to be for nonpersonal services but are administered on a personal services basis.’
- ‘At the moment, the council operates a means-tested charging policy for personal services which affects around 2,400 people in the city.’
- ‘Roughly 28 percent were employed in community or personal services, 20 percent in wholesale or retail trade, 16 percent in manufacturing, and 10 percent in agriculture.’
- ‘This would provide a libertarian rationale for not enforcing personal services contracts.’
- ‘The range of average annual increases was between 3.1% in the recreational and personal services area to 4.5% in construction.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.