One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A number allocated to an individual and used to validate electronic transactions.
- ‘He watched as his PIN number was typed in, and as close to $1,000,000 was transferred into his account.’
- ‘Never carry the PIN number with your cash cards.’
- ‘‘In the panic of things she gave out our PIN number believing this to be a genuine call, all to be proven wrong later,’ he added.’
- ‘If a cash machine withholds your card, report it to the bank immediately and make sure that you never disclose your PIN number to anyone.’
- ‘Some people simply give their cash card and their PIN number to a trusted relative or a friend to draw money for them.’
- ‘For that reason, some systems require that in addition to using the card, users must also enter a PIN number before access is granted.’
- ‘Warnings had been put on many cash machines asking customers to beware of people looking over their shoulder when they enter their PIN number.’
- ‘Newly-issued credit and debit cards will come with smart chips to recognise this PIN number when transactions are processed.’
- ‘Firstly, you have to provide your PIN number over the phone and this has to be validated by a customer service agent.’
- ‘The unique PIN number, together with a credit or laser card and internet access is required to use the new service.’
- ‘I was in the Post Office drawing out money, and they asked me to put in my PIN number.’
- ‘Bank customers have been warned they would never be asked to divulge their PIN number over the internet.’
- ‘No bank staff will ever have a reason to ask you for your PIN number.’
- ‘I have auto voicemail login enabled because I hate entering my voicemail PIN number each time I want to check my messages.’
- ‘The system will replace signatures with a four-digit PIN number as the main way of proving customers' identities.’
- ‘And you did make sure not to use the same PIN number as any other service?’
- ‘However, it turns out I hadn't realised I needed a PIN number.’
- ‘Currently, users are issued a PIN number by the company.’
- ‘They took out his bank cards and asked for his PIN number.’
- ‘Make sure that no one standing near or behind you can see your PIN number as you type it in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.