Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A secretary or administrative assistant working exclusively for one particular person.
second in command, second, number two, subordinate, junior, auxiliary, adjutant, lieutenant, subaltern, assistant, personal assistant, pa, aide, helper, right-hand man, henchman, underlingView synonyms
- ‘Could the growth of this services sector mean the days of the personal assistant are numbered?’
- ‘There are 50 people, including personal assistants, travelling from all over Ireland to the Strasbourg rally.’
- ‘Leaders are also to be held responsible for the behavior of their immediate family and personal assistants.’
- ‘The only person who said anything at all was his personal assistant, Darren.’
- ‘But by spending up to £36,000 on personal assistants, the politicians are making it clear where their priorities lie.’
- ‘That extra money often goes toward paying off inside sources such as bodyguards or personal assistants.’
- ‘This is most alarming, as I didn't think I had the skills for a personal assistant, let alone an executive assistant.’
- ‘Agents operate as independent problem solvers or as personal assistants within a digital environment that is difficult to access for humans.’
- ‘But who else has personal assistants and make-up people to make us look good?’
- ‘After all, it is not everyday that you have a make up artist and personal assistants doing everything possible to make you look good.’
- ‘‘I have no personal assistants and there is no way for me to survive without the help of my mother,’ she said.’
- ‘This applies best to the ubiquitous tribe of personal assistants and clerks who surround the bureaucrats.’
- ‘These presenters will act as personal assistants, and also as humanised search engines, digging out information from the web and the airwaves on the user's request.’
- ‘This is a ridiculous comment, even for those with a stay-at-home spouse and legions of personal assistants.’
- ‘A vice president might become an executive vice president, a secretary might become a personal assistant.’
- ‘‘Many of my girl students are now employed as personal assistants to top executives in reputed firms’, he says.’
- ‘While some rely too much on their personal assistants or secretaries, there are quite a few who believe that ‘self-help is the best help’.’
- ‘In addition to providing security, armor bearers act as personal assistants.’
- ‘Maybe the Queen will make you a personal assistant to her, like I am.’
- ‘The secretary of the year competition was initiated to inspire and equip secretaries, office professionals and personal assistants to attain excellence.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.