One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A private advertisement or message placed in a newspaper, especially one from someone seeking a sexual or romantic partner.
- ‘Based on newspaper personal ads, the show looks at the lives and loves of New Yorkers.’
- ‘This is why free papers apparently make the vast majority of their revenue on personal ads and rooms for rent.’
- ‘Yes, my wife and I would just laugh and laugh if we found out the other one was taking out personal ads to meet someone else.’
- ‘He found a desperate single mother, with a disabled daughter, through a newspaper personal ad.’
- ‘‘Birds and people are not all that different,’ he concludes after reading 2,300 personal ads in 61 newspapers from 23 cities.’
- ‘You can also respond to a personal ad in a newspaper, magazine or on the Internet.’
- ‘I ran a series of personal ads last year, which attracted the likes of which I never expected!’
- ‘So sometimes I cruise though the online personal ads and play ‘If I was looking, who would I write to?’’
- ‘Bowling is noisy, hiking hurts and personal ads are full of liars.’
- ‘In addition to the personal ads, there are also message boards grouped by interest.’
- ‘I sought an answer in the human marketplace of newspaper personal ads.’
- ‘The union was subjected to charges more dubious than some of the claims made in our personal ads.’
- ‘There were already personal ads in newspapers at the beginning of 19th century.’
- ‘And I end up answering personal ads just to get dates.’
- ‘Have you ever considered placing a personal ad in a newspaper or online?’
- ‘‘Well, I was reading the newspaper and I answered a personal ad that was placed in it,’ Lucy confessed.’
- ‘Publications all over the world carry personal ads looking for mates and partners in various activities.’
- ‘They said something about whomever had done it probably being involved in personal ads from newspapers.’
- ‘Are you tired of answering personal ads in the newspaper, fearing that the person you meet may really be a crazed stalker or worse?’
- ‘As I was telling a friend yesterday, I've reached a point with the personal ads where I'm about to do something stupid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.