Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.‘medicine is a field which requires dedication and perseverance’
persistence, tenacity, determination, resolve, resolution, resoluteness, staying power, purposefulness, firmness of purposepatience, endurance, application, diligence, sedulousness, dedication, commitment, doggedness, pertinacity, assiduity, assiduousness, steadfastness, tirelessness, indefatigability, staminaintransigence, obstinacysitzfleischstickabilitystick-to-it-ivenesscontinuanceperseverationView synonyms
- ‘Admittedly this will be a long and painful process, requiring patience, perseverance and a willingness to sacrifice.’
- ‘If nothing else, Anne's success proves that perseverance does pay off.’
- ‘Although his craft requires some basic colours and blocks, the work requires enormous patience and perseverance.’
- ‘People have nothing but praise for her commitment, dedication and perseverance.’
- ‘Tireless efforts, hard work, confidence, perseverance and patience helped him to attain success.’
- ‘We need a lot of perseverance, persistence, patience.’
- ‘For those endowed with qualities such as sincerity, perseverance and competence, success is never a mirage.’
- ‘Remember, persistence, performance, and perseverance will bring success.’
- ‘However, it will be the determination, commitment and perseverance of the people that will make change happen.’
- ‘It's a disheartening process, but Mike is keen to acknowledge that the key to success is perseverance and determination.’
- ‘This will enable you to face life's difficulties with patience, perseverance, and flexibility.’
- ‘Just remember the three Ps of successful bodybuilding: patience, perseverance and persistence.’
- ‘I would like to thank the police for their support and perseverance with the investigation.’
- ‘As a result, patience, perseverance and interest are required.’
- ‘What he does is simply a job requiring diligence, perseverance and a dash of good fortune.’
- ‘Persistence and perseverance are qualities important for career success.’
- ‘It took a lot of persistence and perseverance and a lot of great people around me telling me that I could do it and I could get there.’
- ‘However, those who plan properly, set realistic goals, and exercise patience and perseverance can find success.’
- ‘Her incredible tenacity, perseverance and determination to succeed is a commendable example to everyone.’
- ‘It is going to be a very long process requiring patience and perseverance.’
Middle English: from Old French, from Latin perseverantia, from perseverant- abiding by strictly, from the verb perseverare (see persevere).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.