One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for perpetual motion
- ‘Tito's perpetuum mobile kept rotating during the stagnant 1970s.’
- ‘His preoccupations caricature Fedor's preoccupation with infinity by reducing what is for Fedor a kind of otherworldly transcendence to the pragmatism of a perpetuum mobile.’
- ‘We are amused by purported perpetuum mobile devices.’
2Musicanother term for moto perpetuo
- ‘Other 20th-century composers, for instance Honegger, Martin, and Prokofiev, wrote toccatas in perpetuum mobile style, following the example of Schumann.’
- ‘Op. 54 is in two movements, minuet and a kind of perpetuum mobile, often referred to as a toccata: its form and style can't be found elsewhere in Beethoven.’
Latin, literally ‘continuously moving (thing)’, on the pattern of primum mobile.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.