Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small organelle present in the cytoplasm of many cells, which contains the reducing enzyme catalase and usually some oxidases.
- ‘The enzyme AGT is found almost exclusively in liver peroxisomes and requires phosphate as a coenzyme.’
- ‘We need to know more about the other enzymes in the lantern peroxisomes.’
- ‘These receptors were originally discovered as proteins activated by agents that stimulate proliferation of peroxisomes in rat liver.’
- ‘Mitochondria and peroxisomes, unlike chloroplasts, were not used as target organelles during photographing.’
- ‘The contributing enzymes are localized in three different organelles, chloroplasts, peroxisomes, and mitochondria.’
1960s: from peroxide + -some.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.