Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small organelle present in the cytoplasm of many cells, which contains the reducing enzyme catalase and usually some oxidases.
- ‘The enzyme AGT is found almost exclusively in liver peroxisomes and requires phosphate as a coenzyme.’
- ‘The contributing enzymes are localized in three different organelles, chloroplasts, peroxisomes, and mitochondria.’
- ‘These receptors were originally discovered as proteins activated by agents that stimulate proliferation of peroxisomes in rat liver.’
- ‘We need to know more about the other enzymes in the lantern peroxisomes.’
- ‘Mitochondria and peroxisomes, unlike chloroplasts, were not used as target organelles during photographing.’
1960s: from peroxide + -some.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.