One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small organelle present in the cytoplasm of many cells, which contains the reducing enzyme catalase and usually some oxidases.
- ‘The contributing enzymes are localized in three different organelles, chloroplasts, peroxisomes, and mitochondria.’
- ‘Mitochondria and peroxisomes, unlike chloroplasts, were not used as target organelles during photographing.’
- ‘These receptors were originally discovered as proteins activated by agents that stimulate proliferation of peroxisomes in rat liver.’
- ‘The enzyme AGT is found almost exclusively in liver peroxisomes and requires phosphate as a coenzyme.’
- ‘We need to know more about the other enzymes in the lantern peroxisomes.’
1960s: from peroxide + -some.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.