One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Great or excessive freedom of behaviour.‘a new age of sexual permissiveness’‘the permissiveness of the 1960s’
- ‘When all things are permissible, then permissiveness loses its allure.’
- ‘The responses of the women generally did not support a hypothesis about greater permissiveness in sexual behavior.’
- ‘The biotech industry has grown up in an era of almost complete permissiveness.’
- ‘If you're right, then society would be foolish not to just try out a little more permissiveness.’
- ‘I did not argue that less permissiveness would lead to more violence.’
- ‘Permissiveness is ignoring misbehavior or failing to set reasonable limits on behavior.’
- ‘Perhaps they give him the same sense of permissiveness that allowed them to find their unique artistic voices nearly 40 years ago.’
- ‘In his world, the norm would be one of extreme social permissiveness.’
- ‘Even in an age of moral permissiveness, such behaviour was held to be politically unacceptable.’
- ‘Over the course of an hour, he made several stabs at the city's permissiveness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.