One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the last period of the Palaeozoic era, between the Carboniferous and Triassic periods.See also Permo–Triassic
- ‘Throughout the Permian period the numbers of invertebrate species tends to decrease.’
- ‘Similar features have been seen in Permian and Triassic conifer trunks from Antarctica and North America.’
- ‘The ancestral archosaurs probably originated some 250 million years or so ago, in the late Permian period.’
- ‘It happened 252 million years ago, at the boundary of the Permian and Triassic geological ages.’
- ‘Uppermost Permian and Triassic terrestrial sediments conformably overlie the terminal volcanic rocks.’
- 1.1as noun the Permian The Permian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Late 16th century: from the name of the Russian province Perm, from the extensive development of such strata there.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.