One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the last period of the Palaeozoic era, between the Carboniferous and Triassic periods.See also Permo–Triassic
- ‘The ancestral archosaurs probably originated some 250 million years or so ago, in the late Permian period.’
- ‘Throughout the Permian period the numbers of invertebrate species tends to decrease.’
- ‘Uppermost Permian and Triassic terrestrial sediments conformably overlie the terminal volcanic rocks.’
- ‘It happened 252 million years ago, at the boundary of the Permian and Triassic geological ages.’
- ‘Similar features have been seen in Permian and Triassic conifer trunks from Antarctica and North America.’
- 1.1as noun the Permian The Permian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
The Permian lasted from about 290 to 245 million years ago. The climate was hot and dry in many parts of the world during this period, which saw the extinction of many marine animals, including trilobites, and the proliferation of reptiles
Late 16th century: from the name of the Russian province Perm, from the extensive development of such strata there.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.