One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of obsidian consisting of glassy globules, used as insulation or in plant growth media.
- ‘With hot adhesives, however, it has to be paired with an insulation cover board of another type, such as perlite or wood fiber.’
- ‘The mix we use contains compost, peat, perlite, rock phosphates, blood meal, calcite clay and gypsum.’
- ‘Use a premixed potting soil, usually composed of sand, peat moss, fine bark, perlite or vermiculite.’
- ‘These soil mixtures should include sand, peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, and fir bark for adequate drainage.’
- ‘Most soil-less mixes are a combination of peat, perlite & vermiculite and drain very quickly.’
Mid 19th century: from French, from perle ‘pearl’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.