One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Since we have been banned there has been an escalation of poaching of shellfish and perlemoen.’
- ‘Eleven people living in this region have had commercial perlemoen fishing rights revoked after falsifying their addresses.’
- ‘The illegal perlemoen trade is a lucrative business, with an estimated 150 poachers operating in the city alone.’
- ‘As mentioned in your article, mussels, cockles and perlemoen were in abundance.’
- ‘There appeared to be ‘quite’ an operation being conducted in the house because the alleged poachers even had a scale to weigh the perlemoen.’
Afrikaans, from obsolete perlemoer ‘mother of pearl’ (referring to the pearlized layer inside the shell).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.