[mass noun] A high-level general-purpose programming language used especially for developing Web applications.
- ‘The code is relatively simple yet will look odd to even the most experienced Perl programmers.’
- ‘Programmers already competent in Perl and C will get the most from this book.’
- ‘Fortunately, many popular style files already have been translated into Perl.’
- ‘Hundreds of different templating systems exist, including several dozen written in Perl.’
- ‘Overall, this book covers graphics programming in Perl in a logically ordered and balanced manner.’
1980s: respelling of pearl, arbitrarily chosen for its positive connotations.