Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Cheerful and lively.‘she certainly looked less than her usual perky self’
- ‘Because, if you just glance at me, I look as cute and perky and joyful as ever.’
- ‘One network thinks their salvation may come in the form of a rival's perky morning show host.’
- ‘When I left, she was chipper and perky and seemed in as good of health as ever before.’
- ‘This guy was so perky and bright that it was starting to annoy her.’
- ‘Always bright and perky, Robin has shone in all subjects.’
- ‘Kathy grinned at me, her whole face brightening up, once again painfully perky.’
- ‘Lee's perky and cheerful voice sounds like music to Danielle's ears and makes her want to weep with relief.’
- ‘Now she was perky and cheerfully placing every adorable clothing item she owned into that suitcase.’
- ‘Through all this, she soldiered on, cheerful and perky - at least on the outside.’
- ‘I was relieved, because that was the day Max and I taught our classes and I wanted to be feeling perky.’
- ‘Both of them are way too perky and chipper in the morning for their own good.’
- ‘We've already seen a perky chickadee on our bird feeder and I met the striped lizard that seems to live in the chimney rocks.’
- ‘Betty, who seems so sunny and perky, practices the lines of a scene for her upcoming audition with Rita.’
- ‘The pert and perky secretary in the waiting room was unsuccessful in her attempts to keep the man at bay.’
- ‘Having said that, I'm still feeling pretty perky about my published piece, despite my complaining on other fronts.’
- ‘She is perky, happy to do publicity and says almost nothing interesting.’
- ‘The temperature is about 60 degrees, a strategy to keep the lights cool, and the cast alive and perky.’
- ‘I will soon be back to faking a perky voice, answering stupid questions and providing useless information.’
- ‘She's perky, flighty and frightened to death of her daughter and what she might really think.’
- ‘The new roomie is just a tad too perky for me to handle this morning.’
- 1.1Cheeky.‘don't be perky, miss!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.