Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in some seeds) a mass of nutritive material outside the embryo sac.
- ‘In cucumber, muskmelon, and other seeds, a thin perisperm-endosperm envelope completely encloses the embryo.’
- ‘Scarification was accomplished by piercing the seed coat and scraping a small portion of the perisperm with a sterile dissecting needle.’
- ‘They were treated with 65% sulfuric acid for 10 min at room temperature to hydrolyse their impermeable waterproofing perisperm.’
- ‘The perisperm is present in abundance.’
- ‘Almost all of the seeds have popped along their long axis due to the swelling of the starchy perisperm during heating.’
Early 19th century: from peri- ‘around’ + Greek sperma seed.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.