One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Freshwater organisms attached or clinging to plants and other objects projecting above the bottom sediments.‘the tadpoles used in this experiment feed primarily on periphyton’
- ‘This increased force could permit wood frog tadpoles to scrape a type of periphyton that is more resistant to harvest or to harvest periphyton more efficiently.’
- ‘Four examples of competitive interactions are thoroughly examined: periphyton vs. phytoplankton, macrophytes, snails vs. tadpoles, and fish.’
- ‘A spongy, Dijon-colored city of algae and microscopic creatures that floats on the surface, periphyton cleanses the Everglades of excess nutrients and pollutants.’
- ‘They are commonly called ‘pondscum’, and make up the filamentous periphyton in ponds, growing on and around the larger aquatic plants.’
- ‘The tadpoles used in this experiment feed primarily on periphyton by scraping the surfaces of tank walls and leaves.’
1960s: from Greek peri- ‘around’ + phuton ‘plant’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.