Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Divide (a portion of time) into periods.‘this illustrates the dangers of periodizing history and of ignoring the carry-over of medieval ideas’
- ‘But if we accept that periodizing history requires drawing a distinction between continuity and change, then it has to be accepted that the process is necessarily a theoretical activity.’
- ‘His raising of the problem of periodizing the history of the discussion about the historical Jesus is important, and I hope the insight is deepened to the point where the periods are recognized for what they are: perspectival shifts.’
- ‘By explaining the way Japanese and Western scholars periodize Chinese history using tripartite classical, medieval, and modern frameworks, he places his history in a framework that makes it more accessible to Western readers.’
- ‘This was the hegemonic text in which Mill periodised Indian history into three periods - Hindu civilisation, Muslim civilisation and the British period.’
- ‘This suggests that scholars need a new model for periodizing environmental history, one that emphasizes the 1950s and also focuses on European integration.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.