Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or character of being periodic; the tendency to recur at intervals.‘the periodicity of the sunspot cycle’
- ‘He found that when he arranged the elements in order of increasing atomic weight, similar properties were repeated at regular intervals; they displayed periodicity.’
- ‘Given the coincidence of this period with natural circadian periodicity, interventions designed to promote sleep might focus on widening this 1-hour window to make more time available for sleep.’
- ‘So how do you pick four notes that sound good no matter what order or periodicity they're played in?’
- ‘In the room of the stanza, in the house of the sonnet, to which we return again and again, we are able to dance because of the formal periodicity established by the line.’
- ‘Blue is also, in this poem, the emblem of temporal distance, and so of the shadow side, a blue shadow, of the mindful periodicity that orders our lives.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.