Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A function returning to the same value at regular intervals.
- ‘His results concern the approximation theory of almost periodic functions.’
- ‘This has been done by subtracting a periodic function from the data.’
- ‘This is where any mathematical function is expressed as the sum of an infinite series of other periodic functions.’
- ‘These turned out to be doubly periodic functions and are called elliptic functions.’
- ‘In particular he had found a continuous periodic function whose trigonometric interpolating polynomials, corresponding to equally spaces mesh points, diverge almost everywhere.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.