The sheath of connective tissue surrounding a bundle (fascicle) of nerve fibres within a nerve.
covering, cover, case, casing, envelope, sleeve, wrapperView synonyms
- ‘It strongly stained the perineurium but did not stain the nerve fibers within the perineurium, thus giving a ringlike staining pattern.’
- ‘Briefly, the nerve fibers were closely packed in the nerve bundles in the endoneurial areas surrounded by the perineurium and the epineurium.’
- ‘The endoneurium is continuous with the more abundant connective tissue perineurium, which envelops bundles of nerve fibers.’
- ‘In these lesions, the hyphae appeared to invade the perineurium, the loose fascial sheath surrounding the nerve.’
- ‘However, in most of the smaller fibers the space between nerve and perineurium was reduced or absent, so that it could not be established whether the peripheral staining represented nerve fibers or perineurium.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek peri- ‘around’ + neuron ‘sinew’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.