One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A green semi-precious mineral, a variety of olivine.mass noun ‘pieces set with peridot and blue topaz’count noun ‘emeralds, rubies, and peridots’
- ‘Egypt is also the home of some of the best peridot, the gem variety of forsterite.’
- ‘There are bracelets, earrings, pendants, and so on, set with rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and other gemstones such as tanzanite, tourmaline, aquamarine, yellow topaz, rose quartz, peridot, and many more.’
- ‘If you are a family of 3, this necklace is a row of three diamonds, with the main stone peridot, in case you want some number symbolism.’
- ‘Some gem minerals have crystallized directly from igneous rocks other than granite; peridot is a good example.’
- ‘Plutonites, also magmatic, form in conditions of extreme heat and pressure far deeper within the Earth; colourful translucent crystals such as aventurine, peridot and rose quartz are the result.’
Early 18th century: from French, from Old French peritot, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.