Intense and impassioned.‘perfervid nationalism’
intense, impassioned, ardent, fervent, zealous, vehement, fiery, heated, feverish, emotional, heartfelt, eager, excited, animated, spirited, vigorous, strong, energetic, messianic, fanatical, frenzied, wild, fierce, consuming, violent, tumultuous, flaming, raging, burning, uncontrollable, ungovernableView synonyms
- ‘He was a perfervid nationalist who was jailed for his beliefs.’
- ‘He adopted one medium after another, fascinated at first by new formal possibilities and soon distracted into perfervid polemic.’
- ‘He always savoured the chance to quash interviewers with one of his favourite put-downs: ‘Please desist from your perfervid questioning.’’
- ‘It is, rather, a smothering of the soul or a gallows boast, perfervid and florid - an unwitting confession of peewee excesses, of niggling lavishnesses, and of misapprehensions of the phony for the real and the swinish for the good.’
- ‘He was vacillating, bombastic, insecure and perfervid by turns, but his poetry is as delicately complex as any.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin perfervidus, from Latin per- utterly + fervidus glowing hot, fiery.