Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A toxic colourless volatile solvent used commonly as a dry-cleaning fluid.Also called tetrachloroethylene
- ‘The toxic solvent, perchloroethylene, is used to dry clean clothes.’
- ‘One of those toxic chemicals was the dry cleaning solvent, perchlorethylene.’
- ‘These often contain perchloroethylene, the solvent used in dry cleaning, which emits carcinogenic fumes that can make you lightheaded, nauseous, and disoriented.’
- ‘This will limit your exposure to perchloroethylene, a solvent used in dry cleaning.’
- ‘The primary solvent used in dry cleaning is perchloroethylene, also known as tetrachloroethylene and commonly known as perc.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.